When you see someone who appears to be homeless on a street corner asking for money, you may be tempted to give. But there are better ways to help.
Consider giving to one of these community partners who provide homeless services. This is a much better approach than giving money to someone on a street corner who may not actually be homeless or may use the money to support addictions that perpetuate the cycle of homelessness.
Meechaiel Criner Was being living at LifeWorks shelter when he brutally raped and murdered Ut Student Haruka Weiser. Here is local activist Chris Harris dismissing her sexual assault and murder with the claim that fraternities are responsible for more deaths at the University of Texas at Austin.
A Public Forum On Homelessness In Austin
LBJ School of Public Affairs and the LBJ Foundation
- Mayor Steve Adler
- Austin Police Chief Brian Manley
- Susan McDowell — CEO, LifeWorks
- Matthew Mollica — Executive Director, ECHO
- Chris Harris — Community Advocate, Homes Not Handcuffs
- Sherri Greenberg — Clinical Professor, LBJ School of Public Affairs
- Bill Brice — VP Investor Relations, Downtown Austin Alliance
Seattle Is Dying
Is Austin Next?